ABL2000 Air Bearing Stage
The ABL2000 combines excellent pitch/yaw characteristics with the unsurpassed velocity control that is necessary for printing, imaging, semiconductor, and photonic applications.
Air Bearing Design
By utilizing a magnetic preload, the ABL2000 features a smaller cross-section than typical air-bearing stages without sacrificing load capability. The large air-bearing surfaces provide excellent stiffness, allowing for heavy loading. Proprietary manufacturing techniques result in a stage with unsurpassed pitch, roll, and yaw characteristics. Manufactured in Aerotech’s state-of-the-art production facility, the ABL2000 is machined with exacting tolerances
that are unachievable by conventional methods.
Linear Motor Drive
The driving force behind this stage is Aerotech’s BLMC brushless linear servomotor. Aerotech’s long history and experience as a motor manufacturer is reflected in this latest design. The BLMC utilizes an ironless forcer, which means there is zero cogging and no attractive forces – resulting in unsurpassed smoothness of motion. Since the stage is friction-free and the motor has zero cogging, extremely fine resolutions are achievable.
Our totally noncontact air bearing, noncontact linear motor drive, and noncontact feedback device ensure years of maintenance-free operation at the high performance levels that are expected of Aerotech equipment. Because there is no mechanical contact between moving elements, the ABL2000 experiences no wear or reduction in performance over time. Service life is virtually unlimited, and since there is no lubrication – only clean, dry gas – air bearings are ideal for cleanroom and medical applications.
Years of research have resulted in what is universally considered to be the best cable management system (CMS) in the industry. We carefully optimize the cable bend radius and utilize only the highest quality cable to ensure years of trouble-free operation. In the unlikely event of failure, Aerotech’s modular design makes cable replacement quick and easy with minimal downtime. To facilitate integration into the final system, we include all customer-required cables, air hoses, etc. in our CMS bundle. Both ends are fully connectorized for simple integration into the customer’s machine. High flex ribbon cable versions are also available.
1. When mounting the ABL2000 in an XY configuration, the maximum upper axis length is 300 mm.
2. Maximum speed based on stage capability; maximum application velocity may be limited by system data rate and system resolution.
3. Maximum load based on bearing capability; maximum application load may be limited by acceleration requirements.
4. Available with Aerotech controllers.
5. Requires environmental compensation.
6. To protect air bearing against under-pressure, an in-line pressure switch tied to the motion controller/amplifier E-stop input is recommended.
7. Air supply must be clean, dry to 0° F dewpoint and filtered to 0.25 um or better; recommend nitrogen at 99.9% purity.
8. Specifications are for single-axis systems, measured 50 mm above the tabletop. Performance of multi-axis systems is payload and workpoint dependent. Consult factory for multi-axis
or non-standard applications.